Meet Dr. Jennifer Tan
Orthodontist in Ottawa
I am always amazed at how the smiles we create every day can lead to overall life-long transformations of improved self-confidence and self-esteem. It has been, and continues to be, a privilege to be an orthodontist in the Ottawa community.
Our team works hard every day with the satisfaction of knowing that our efforts impact the lives of our patients in a positive way. I see all of my patients at each and every visit. My team and I have the pleasure of getting to know their families, school, work, and hobbies. Over the course of orthodontic treatment, we develop a sincere relationship with every patient. It is always exciting to see how each individual grows, matures, and changes over time.
Our office is very personable. We know our patients by name and make them and their family feel at home, safe, and relaxed when they come to see us. Each of our team members is highly skilled and energetic, and brings something unique. We all work together to provide our patients with the best care and customer service experience available anywhere.
All of us would like to help you achieve the oral health and brilliant smile of your dreams!
My educational background includes:
- McGill University, Bachelor of Science, 2004
- McGill University, Doctor of Dental Medicine, 2004
- Montreal Children’s Hospital, multi-disciplinary fellowship, 2005
- University of Detroit Mercy, certificate in orthodontics and a Master of Science, 2007
During my orthodontics training, I received the Alpha Sigma Nu Award. This is intended to honour students in higher education that have distinguished themselves through scholarship, loyalty, and service.
Providing the highest quality of care and service to my patients is always my priority. That is why I participate regularly in opportunities for continuing education every year, which includes attending multiple national and international lectures and conferences.
I have also found my memberships with the Ottawa Orthodontic Study Club, the Ottawa Women Dentists Study Club, and the Smiles by Specialists Spear Study Club have been very beneficial to my continued professional growth. All of this has allowed me to remain up to date and aware of the newest developments, techniques, and technology in orthodontics and dentistry in general.
I have lectured on various topics in orthodontics to the Ontario Dental Assistants Association and to the Ottawa Women Dentists Study Club.
My work with other practitioners in my professional community keeps me informed and up to date concerning technological advances, recent research, and improved understanding of best practices, and has given me access to the widest collective understanding available within my field. What I gain proves of great importance to those I serve.
My current professional memberships include:
- American Association of Orthodontists, member
- Canadian Association of Orthodontists, member
- Canadian Dental Association, member
- Royal College of Dentists of Canada, fellow
- Ontario Association of Orthodontists, member
- Ontario Dental Association, member
- Ontario Dental Association, Councillor 2008-2014
- Ottawa Dental Society, member and chair of the Communications and Public Relations Committee, 2010-2015
- Ottawa Dental Society, member of the Ethics and Mediations Committee, 2015-present
- Ottawa Dental Society, member of the Newsletter Committee, 2107-present
- Ottawa-Gatineau Orthodontists Alliance, member
- Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario, member
Family and at home
I am originally from Miramichi, New Brunswick, and have lived in Ottawa since 2007. I am married to Dr. Martin Lin, with whom I have three young sons. When I’m not caring for patients, I enjoy spending time with my family, as well as biking, golfing, and traveling.
I feel honored to be a part of my community and blessed to be a member of my profession. Where the education, skills, or resources I have gained or to which I uniquely have access prove of tangible benefit to others, I contribute as I am able. I do this individually, through my practice, and with others as a function of my civic and professional associations.
Our practice supports local schools, sport teams, charities, and events in the community. Through the dental society, I organize Brush-a-mania and Oral Health Month activities in Ottawa and I am involved in fundraising for the United Way and for CHEO. I also volunteer my orthodontic services with Smiles 4 Canada.